Posts

Featured Post

Irving Cliff

Image
Rising some 300 feet above historic downtown Honesdale, Pennsylvania, Irving Cliff at Gibbons Memorial Park in Honesdale, Pennsylvania. A view of the Lackawaxen River as it meets Dyberry Creek, historic buildings and even the Moosic Mountains in the far distance can be seen from the perch upon this ledge. A recent trip brought me through Honesdale, and upon looking for any points of interest that were worth exploring and being a sucker for scenic vistas and local history, a visit to see the view from Irving Cliff was a must-do.
Irving Cliff was named after Washington Irving, author of "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." Irving visited Honesdale in 1841 at the invitation of his friend Philip Hone (the first president of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, a former mayor of New York City, and the namesake of Honesdale Borough) on a trip the Delaware and Hudson Canal from Kingston, New York to Honesdale. This beautiful blending of rock, lake and stream elici…

Greencastle

Image
GREENCASTLE - Founded 1750. Named for Greencastle in North of Ireland (County Donegal, Northern Island) where many of the first settlers to Greencastle came from. Greencastle is located at the intersection of the old Baltimore and Carlisle Pikes, and is home to the the oldest continuously operating drug store in the United States, Carl's Drug Store, which opened in 1825.
Sources and Links: Our History - Greencastle Borough

The Red Caboose - Elizabeth

Image
For the past 40 years, a hot dog stand that looks a lot like a red caboose along Route 51 in Forward Township (Southeastern Allegheny County) has been a lunch time treat for many in the Monongahela Valley.  The Red Caboose - family operated since 1980 - serves hot dogs, kielbasa, and french fries.  Plus popular toppings like cheese, chili, sauerkraut and gravy.
The menu is simple - and so are the prices.  Most items are under $3 - making it an extremely affordable meal.   The Red Caboose is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm.   Seating is all outdoor or in your car.  And if you come during the peak lunch time hours - the line will stretch out the door!  It's definitely worth it though.
The Red Caboose is Cash Only so be sure to stop at the ATM before you go.  Oh, and don't forget your appetite!
(Top photo courtesy the Red Caboose)





How To Get There:

King's Covered Bridge

Image
Just south of the Barronvale Covered Bridge sits King's Covered Bridge.  This bridge also crosses Laurel Hill Creek and sits just off of PA Route 653.  King's Covered Bridge dates to 1906 and received a massive restoration in 2009. 
The 127 foot long Burr Arch Truss was a privately owned bridge by the King family.  The bridge, which had not seen vehicular traffic since the 1930s, served as a livestock barn for the King family until 2002.  It was in 2002 when the Southern Alleghenies Conservancy took over the bridge and in 2008 handed it over to Middlecreek Township.  With the assistance of various grants and federal highway administration funding, restoration of the bridge began in 2008 and was completed the next year.  The cost to stabilize and restore the bridge was $1.035 million dollars.

The restored bridge is absolutely beautiful.
Bridge Specs: Number: 38-56-06Built: 1906Design: Burr Arch TrussLength: 127 feetCrosses: Laurel Hill CreekAll photos taken by post author - Decembe…

Perryopolis

Image
Fayette County's Perryopolis has a unique history.  The town's history can be traced to George Washington and his purchase 1644 acres of land in 1769.  Washington found the area perfect for a grist mill which was constructed and began operation in 1776.  Over a decade later in 1789, Washington leased portions of his land and the mill to Colonel Israel Shreve.  When both Washington and Shreve died in 1799, the land would be subdivided and sold.

Originally known as New Boston, the layout of Perryopolis would take shape in 1814.  Renamed Perryopolis after War of 1812 hero, Oliver Hazard Perry, the town's layout is in the shape of a wagon wheel.   The hub of the layout is known as Washington Square which to this day remains the center of town.
Perryopolis would grow as the main town and marketplace for a number of the local farmers and grist mills in the early-mid 1800s.  As the 19th century continued, coal and coke became the drivers of the local economy.  Interestingly, it was…

Salina Bridge & General Refractories Plant

Image
In Northern Westmoreland County, there is a little known - and little traveled - bridge over the Kiskiminetas River that connects the village of Salina on the Westmoreland County side with the village of Edmon on the Armstrong County side.  The Salina Bridge, built in 1906, is one of the oldest standing bridges of its style in the state.


The nearly 700 foot long Parker through truss bridge saw a major rehabilitation in 1978.  However, continued deterioration has led to a 10 ton weight limit and the state is currently debating on whether to repair or replace the bridge.


Salina was a company town of the Kier Firebrick Company.  Most of the homes were built at the start of the 20th century.  The Kier Firebrick company would eventually become the General Refractories Company.  The former plant sat on the Salina side of the bridge.  The plant was eventually demolished and all that remains is a concrete pad.

All photos taken by post author - December 24, 2008.
How To Get There:

East Huntington High School

Image
Along PA 981 in the Westmoreland County Village of Alverton was the site of the former East Huntingdon Township High School.  Built in 1924, the high school replaced the former high school that dated to the turn of the century.

The High School would serve East Huntingdon Township until 1964 when the school district merged with the Scottdale School District to form the Southmoreland School District.  The high school was renamed Southmoreland High School and was the district's high school until the late 1970s when a new high school was built across Route 981.


The building continued to serve the community as Southmoreland Junior High School until 2010 when a new Southmoreland Middle School opened in Scottdale.  The building was later demolished and the site is now the parking lot for the school's football stadium.


The intricate terra-cota details of the former high school's fa├žade were one of the many features of this building.

All photos taken by post author - December 24,…