The final bridge on the Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour is the Kreidersville Bridge. Built in 1839, it is the oldest bridge in the region and is the only remaining bridge in Northampton County. The 116 foot Burr Truss bridge crosses Hokendauqua Creek and is only accessible by pedestrians and bicyclists.
The Kreidersville Covered Bridge is a very important part of the local community. The bridge was the last of three covered bridge standing in the late 1950s. The bridge was slated for demolition by the state until a group of local residents and preservationists fought to keep the bridge standing. Today, the bridge is the centerpiece of the annual Kreidersville Covered Bridge Festival and a 5 & 10k race that helps to fund bridge preservation projects.
Among the picturesque countryside of Lancaster County is a historic iron forge called Poole Forge. Founded around the time of the American Revolution by a Welshman named James Old, Poole Forge produced armaments and other iron goods by various owners for a burgeoning nation from 1775 to 1852.
These days, Poole Forge is a park, has a covered bridge that was constructed over the Conestoga Creek in 1859, hosts weddings from some of the remaining original buildings and a chance to learn about early industry in this part of Pennsylvania.
Throughout Pennsylvania there are many small cemeteries. Some are rural and some are in many of the old towns and villages that are throughout the state. The Fells Church Cemetery in Rostraver Township, Westmoreland County is one of them. Established in 1785 on the grounds of Fells Methodist Church, Fells Cemetery is the final resting place to those who fought in the American Revolution, Civil War, World War I, and World War II. Three centuries of Pennsylvanians are buried here.
Both Fells Church and the village of Fellsburg have a long history. Fellsburg is located within Rostraver Township which is one of the original Westmoreland County townships dating back to 1773. Fellsburg is named after Benjamin Fell, and upon land donated by George Washington, Fells Methodist Church was built. Known as "The Lighthouse on the Hill", the historic stone church that was built in 1834 still stands; however, the congregation moved to a new building in 1967.