Searights Toll House

Searights Toll House
As you head west on US 40 from Uniontown, there is a second historical toll house that remains standing.  The Searights Tollhouse was one of six toll houses that once stood along the historic route.  Similar to the Petersburg Toll House in Addison, Searights was built in 1835 after the federal government transferred the maintenance of the National Road to the states.

Replica of the toll schedule at Searights Toll House
Searights Toll House is named after the nearby village of Searights.  The village is named after William Searights who lived nearby.  In later years, a coal company town would be built just to the south of the toll house.  The toll house is a two story facility and is open for tours.  The toll house is currently owned by the Fayette County Historical Society.

The refurbished living quarters of the toll house (Bee Family)
After collection of tolls ceased in 1905, the toll house went into disrepair.  Today, it has been fully restored and has many artifacts that give a glimpse of life as a toll keeper during the 19th century.  The toll house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1964.

The kitchen area of the toll house (Bee Family)
All photos taken by post author in December 2007 unless otherwise noted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Washington and Waynesburg Railroad - Washington Station