Bells Mills Covered Bridge


The Bells Mills Covered Bridge crosses Big Sewickley Creek just outside of the village of Yukon in Westmoreland County.  The over 150 year old Burr Truss bridge is the last remaining covered bridge in Westmoreland County.  Yes, there are still some private bridges but most of those have been built in the last 30 years; however, the Bells Mills bridge is the last of its kind within the county.  


The bridge was designed and built in 1850 by Daniel McCain.  The bridge was damaged in 1975 due to flooding along the Big Sewickley.  It was during the post-flood rebuilding of the Bells Mills Bridge that its color went from white to red.  The bridge was rededicated by Westmoreland County in 1976.  The Bells Mills Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  The bridge was completely restored by the county in 1988.

Bridge Specs:
Number: 38-65-01
Design: Single Burr Arch
Length: 104 feet
Crosses: Big Sewickley Creek
Built: 1850
 
Directions:


  • From West Newton - Follow PA 136 East about 3.5 miles to Bells Mills Road.  Turn Right onto Bells Mills Road, Bridge is at the bottom of the hill.
  • From Greensburg - Follow PA 136 West through Madison.  From Madison continue on PA 136 West another 3.5 miles to Bells Mills Road.  Turn Left.  Bridge is at the Bottom of the Hill
  • From Interstate 70 - Exit 51B onto PA 31 West towards West Newton.  Follow PA 31 West about two miles and turn right onto Turkeytown Road.  Take Turkeytown Road to Bells Mills Road and turn left.  Bridge is about one mile further.
  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Donora - Webster Bridge

    Log Jammer Memories

    Fells Church Cemetery - Fellsburg