MILFORD - The county seat of Pike County is named after an old town in Wales. Founded in 1767, Milford was originally known as Wells Ferry. It is a town with approximately 1,100 residents.
When you explore the back roads around Gettysburg, you'll most likely find some great things. Just behind the Eisenhower Farm on Red Rock Road - and not that long of a stroll from Sachs Covered Bridge - is an 1886 iron truss bridge named after Dwight Eisenhower's son, John. John Eisenhower was an officer in the United States Army, served as the US Ambassador to Belgium, and was a military historian. The John Eisenhower Bridge crosses Willoughby Run, and its use is limited to bicycles and pedestrians. The 84-foot-long bridge was designed and constructed by Gibert & Smith. It is a Pratt-through truss design. Flood waters severely damaged the bridge in 1996. Two years later, the bridge was completely restored. In 2012, Adams County completed a project fully refurbishing the bridge deck. Willoughby Run Like the nearby Sachs Covered Bridge, the Eisenhower Bridge is considered haunted. It is known locally as the " Suicide Bridge ;" gho...
Along PA 981 in the Westmoreland County Village of Alverton was the site of the former East Huntingdon Township High School. Built in 1924, the high school replaced the former high school that dated to the turn of the century. The High School would serve East Huntingdon Township until 1964 when the school district merged with the Scottdale School District to form the Southmoreland School District. The high school was renamed Southmoreland High School and was the district's high school until the late 1970s when a new high school was built across Route 981. The building continued to serve the community as Southmoreland Junior High School until 2010 when a new Southmoreland Middle School opened in Scottdale. The building was later demolished and the site is now the parking lot for the school's football stadium. The intricate terra-cota details of the former high school's façade were one of the many features of this building. All photos taken by post autho...
One of the longer covered bridges in Washington County, the Hughes Covered Bridge has a long and storied history. Built in 1889, the bridge became the center of a legal battle nearly 90 years later over its location. The Hughes Bridge is a 55-and-one-half-foot Queen post bridge over Ten Mile Creek. In 1915, Washington County took over maintenance of the bridge from Amwell Township. 56 years later, Washington County looked to move the Hughes Bridge to Mingo Creek Park. Early in 1971, the county began deconstructing the bridge so it could be transported to the park. Amwell Township filed suit to prevent the move to the Washington County Park. A judge would rule in favor of the township and ordered the county to restore the bridge to its previous state. Since that court ruling, Hughes Covered Bridge has remained at its home off of Montgomery Run Road. Additionally, since 1971, the bridge has been a stop on the annual two-county, Wa...
Comments
Post a Comment