Showing posts from April, 2017

Sonestown or Davidson Covered Bridge

The Sonestown or Davidson Bridge is one of three Burr Truss bridges within Sullivan County.  It is located just off of US 220 south of the village of Sonestown.  The bridge, which was built in 1850, has recently undergone some rehabilitation.  In the summer of 2005, the bridge's stone abutments were reinforced as they were threatened from erosion by the changing banks of Muncy Creek. (1)  Since then, damage from flooding in 2011 closed the bridge for major repairs, and it reopened to traffic in 2013. (2)  The bridge has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. All photos taken by post author - May 1, 2005   Bridge Specs: Number: 38-57-03 Built: 1850 Design: Burr Truss Length: 110 Feet Crosses: Muncy Creek Sources & Links: (1) Loewenstein, James. "Sonestown Covered Bridge threatened by erosion." The Daily and Sunday Review .  July 5, 2005.  (2) Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - Sullivan County

Aline or Meiserville Covered Bridge

The Aline Covered Bridge as seen from Aline Church Road Located off of Route 104 between the tiny villages of Aline and Meiserville sits a restored Burr Truss Covered Bridge over the North Branch of Mahantango Creek. The Aline Bridge has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979, ninety-five years after it was first constructed.  The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic, but it is easily accessible and has a few picnic tables. All photos taken by post author - April 30, 2005. Bridge Specs: Number: 38-55-04 Built: 1884 Restored: 2001 Design: Burr Truss Length: 60 Feet Crosses: North Branch - Mahantango Creek

Kreidersville Covered Bridge

(Doug Kerr) The final bridge on the Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour is the Kreidersville Bridge.  Built in 1839, it is the oldest bridge in the region and is the only remaining bridge in Northampton County.  The 116 foot Burr Truss bridge crosses Hokendauqua Creek and is only accessible by pedestrians and bicyclists. (Doug Kerr) The Kreidersville Covered Bridge is a very important part of the local community.  The bridge was the last of three covered bridge standing in the late 1950s.  The bridge was slated for demolition by the state until a group of local residents and preservationists fought to keep the bridge standing.  Today, the bridge is the centerpiece of the annual Kreidersville Covered Bridge Festival and a 5 & 10k race that helps to fund bridge preservation projects. (Doug Kerr) Bridge Specs: Number: 38-48-01 Built: 1839 Design: Burr Arch Truss Length: 116 feet Crosses: Hokendauqua Creek Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour - Navigation: Back to

Schlicher Covered Bridge

(Doug Kerr - 2013) When Doug Kerr came across the Schlicher Covered Bridge in 2013, it had been closed to traffic since December 2009.  The bridge, which was one of two access points to the Lehigh Valley Zoo and the Trexler Nature Preserve, had been closed as a result of structural fatigue - specifically a sagging wood deck that caused a substantial dip .  In June 2014, an almost completely new Schlicher's Bridge would open to traffic.  The new bridge is pretty much a modern replica of what was its nearly 130 year old predecessor.   Only 10% of the original bridge material was used in the construction of the replacement bridge.  The modern Schlicher's Bridge is about six feet longer and four feet wider than the original bridge; however, the eight foot height restriction still remains. The then closed Schlicher Bridge (Doug Kerr) The original Schlicher Covered Bridge was built in 1882.  It is one of five covered bridges in Lehigh County to cross Jordan Creek.  The Bur